If you don't vote, you're a dumb ass.

Sound kind of harsh? Well it isn't.  

Let me begin by saying I HATE POLITICS AND MOST POLITICIANS! 

Some of the best advice I ever got was from a person whom I have the utmost respect for. Truthfully, I don't even remember what question I asked him or what advice I sought from him. But his answer still resounds to this day, "Don't be a Dumb Ass"

The other day my wife was talking to someone about politics (a frequent topic around our house) and she asked the person if they voted. Their response blew me away. The person said “I didn't know who to vote for so I didn't vote. I didn't want to anyone to blame me”. I am continually amazed at the number of people who don’t vote.

My personal political beliefs aside, I believe that one of the most powerful rights we have in this country is the right to vote. Look at Colorado in 2013. When the public got fed up with the way things were going they voted to remove two State Senators from office. Yes, change can be made by a large enough, loud enough voice. But you have to make that voice heard. Not voting will not get you heard.

If you are unsatisfied with the way things are going in your county, state or the country, and don’t know what to do or who to vote for, take a few minutes and Google the candidates and see what they say, how they feel, what they do.

*WARNING*

Not everything you read on the internet is true. Not everything a candidate says is true.

*WARNING*

You have to be discerning, which isn't easy in life or in politics. Make sure the information you are reading is from a reliable source (i.e. not the person running against them or their political party). A pretty good rule of thumb is don’t listen to any political ads on TV or radio. I think it is sad that elections are won by how much money someone spends on ads. And don’t kid yourself, it works, if you let it. So at the risk of sounding hypocritical, don’t make an uniformed vote. That’s ALMOST as bad as not voting at all. ALMOST

Most people know what kind of fundamental beliefs they posses. Find a candidate that possesses some of those same beliefs and go from there. If you are conservative find the conservatives you like. If you are more liberal, find some of those. You owe it to your state and country to do the research on the issues and candidates. If you don’t vote because you didn't know who to vote for, I can and will blame you for what happens.

I think some of the most important elections have been won or lost because someone either thought it was so lop-sided that they didn't need to vote or the victorious candidate got more “non-voters” to come out that typically don’t.

Don’t be a Dumb Ass.

Comments