ORUCASE Saddle bag | Review

What is a saddle bag? Also called a seat bag. It fits under the saddle and typically connects via some kind of strap to the rails of the saddle. Some better than others. My biggest pet peeve is a saddle bag that bounces around while you are riding. Velcro straps work but can get clogged up with mud and fail at the worst time. Plastic buckles, some good, most not. 

The seat bag is used for a variety of items but most people use them for the stuff they don't need to access very often. Tubes, multi-tool, tire levers, Co2 cartridges, extra small parts. The stuff  you need when you are having a bad day on the bike. 

I am a gravel rider. Nothing I have on my bike is minimalist or lightweight. Like the saddle bag on my adventure bike. A Jandd Mini Mountain Wedge seat bag. Not small. Not aero. But very rugged, and indestructible.

So when I started looking for a seat bag for my other gravel bike (Salsa Vaya), I was just going to get another Jandd. Of course I had to browse around and see what was out there that I might be missing out on. 

I started on Amazon and almost gave up after wading through about a MILLION cheapo crap saddle bags. Then I spotted a really nice looking bag that was inexpensive and had good reviews. The ORUCASE saddle bag. For $29.00, I decided to give it a try.

The ORUCASE comes in 2 sizes SB25 (small) SB30 (less small). I bought the SB30 because, bigger. It is made from Waterproof X-PAC fabric. with a waterproof zipper that seals everything up nicely.  I was only offered black on Amazon, but other colors are available directly from ORUCASE.

When I opened the package I almost sent it back without even trying it. There was no way ANYTHING could fit in this little bag. But I decided to try and see what fit. Turns out EVERYTHING fit. 
  • (1) 700x40 tube
  • (4) Co2 cartridges with Red Zeppelin inflator head
  • (2) tire levers
  • (1) Crank Bros M17 multi-tool
  • small pouch with chain links, cleat bolts and valve core tool

The Voile strap was one of the reasons I bought this bag. I use a Voile strap on everything and this one already came with one! Those are about $6 each, making this bag really cost only $23.

I have about 150 miles with this bag and it has never even budged from its original position. I have never accessed it on the road (yeah!). I did take it off at home to get a valve core tool. It came off easily and went back on as it should have. I should also note that I did have one ride in some pretty wet conditions and everything in the bag was dry as it should have been.

This is a WINNER! I think it would even fit a MTB tube if you needed it for that. You might have to lose a couple of Co2 cartridges, but I bet you could make it work. 

FYI, ORUCASE also makes cool burrito bag that I will probably try next


Comments