Gerber Shard keychain tool review

Last weekend I dropped the transmission out of my F-150, rebuilt it and re-installed using ONLY the Gerber Shard and some red Loctite. Truth? You be the judge.

One thing that is not in question is the coolness of this little tool. Any key chain will be honored to hold this multi-faceted, multi-specialty, multi-purpose keychain tool.

I wrapped it with paracord to give a little extra purchase when cranking down on that pesky Phillips head screw. You can find numerous videos on how to do that or just man up and try it yourself.

Gerber Shard

I have used it mostly for opening Amazon boxes containing other cool EDC stuff.

All joking aside, it is very well built and has a little “heft” but not heavy.  I chose the silver Titanium Nitride Coating version (vs. black) because how often do you get to say “Titanium Nitride”? Full disclosure, I think both of them are Titanium Nitride, so maybe I just thought then silver would hold up better in my pocket.

I did drive a nail in a board just to see if I could pry it out. It did! Other features are Small and Medium Flat Driver, Philips Head Driver, Wire Stripper (untested), Bottle Opener (heavily tested)

I have it hanging from a Nite Ize G-biner #2 and the Shard mates nicely with it. If you have smaller ring, you might add a small section of paracord to the Shard to hang from. Lord knows the hole is big enough (sorry, not sorry)

They claim it is TSA approved and airline safe. I cannot attest to that because, frankly if TSA approves it, it kind of dished the coolness.

Cons? Maybe the lanyard hole could be smaller. But hey, Maybe I could be taller but I’m not.

For reference, I also have the Nite Ize DoohicKey and I like the Gerber better just for the heftiness. You will lose this tool before you bend or break it.

4.75 hollow points

Comments